The city of Bangalore offers recreational choices for everyone, catering to varying age groups and preferences. One of such places of which Bangalore boasts of is the Art of Living International Center, often called as the Bangalore Ashram. Not just for the seekers of ancient yogic like meditation and other yoga practices, this ashram is visited by many nature lovers as well. It is not just for the followers but a perfect destination for anyone looking for some relaxation amidst greenery and seclusion.
Situated 21 km south of the city, Art of Living International Center, the ashram has been built on a hillock, promising a rejuvenating experience to every visitor. Spread across an area of 65 acres, the Bangalore ashram was founded in the year of 1986. Since then it has been captivating people from all strata of life. It is now spread across 150 countries. Various visitors from around the globe comes to visit this Bangalore Ashram. Its serene environment, calm surrounding and a breathtaking view of the ashram at the backdrop of lush green nature are a few things which make your visit a memorable one. Known for the spirituality of the surrounding, you can find many yogi and visitors meditating here at the ashram.
Not just lush green nature, you will find here various Ayurveda centers as well such as Ayurveda Panchakarma Centre which presents various forms of handicraft and arts at Art of Living International Center. You have qualified Panchakarma doctors who offer ayurvedic treatment to your ailments. Apart from this, there are innumerable yoga and meditation and lifestyle courses which are being offered here.
Tags : Yoga & Meditation
Timings : 9:00 AM – 8:00 PM
Time Required : 2 – 3 hrs
Entry Fee : No Entry Fee
Programs and Courses at Art of Living International Center, Bangalore
The ashram conducts a wide range of residential programs in yoga, wellness, meditation, breathing techniques, and skill development for all age groups. Specially designed programs are also available for kids and corporate professionals. These include:
- Programs for beginners, such as Happiness Program, Sahaj Samadhi Meditation, Silence Retreat, Wellness Program, and Sri Sri Yoga Deep Dive
- Programs for kids and teens, such as Prajna Yoga, Utkarsha Yoga, Medha Yoga (for kids of different age groups), and Sri Sri Yoga for Kids
- Graduate Programs, including Advance Meditation Program, Dynamism for Self and nation (DSN), Blessing Program, Sri Sri Yoga Program 2, Sanyam, and Guru Puja
- Corporate Programs that focus on team building, leadership, change management workshops, personality development, and the like
- Special Programs like Colors of Joy (summer holiday program), Chaitra Navrathri, and Tera May (related to Sri Sri Ravi Shankar’s birthday celebrations)
Things to See in Art of Living International Center, Bangalore
The Art of Living International Center has numerous spectacularly designed buildings and structures spread across the campus. These include:
- Vishalakshi Mantap: Touted as the focal point of the ashram, Vishalakshi Mantap is a five-tiered meditation hall designed by Sri Sri Ravi Shankar and named after his mother. It showcases a blend of modern and Vedic architecture and is an excellent example of intricate artistry. The glass dome of the structure features a 15 feet 3 inch-high kalash, which is considered to be the biggest in the continent. The edifice incorporates design elements of lotus, one of the holiest symbols in Hinduism.
- Radha Kunj Garden: It is a scenic and serene garden with exotic plants, flowers, and lush greenery. The garden also houses fountains, lily ponds, an earthy pathway, a lake, and a waterfall.
- Sri Sri Gurukul: Modeled on the gurukul system of education prevalent in ancient India, Sri Sri Gurukul caters to students from across the globe. It is a center of excellence offering courses in a wide range of subjects, including Sanskrit, Vedas, Jyothisham, and Vedic Mathematics, to name a few.
- Sri Sri Gaushala: Set up for the preservation of indigenous breeds of cows, Sri Sri Gaushala is home to hundreds of cows belonging to about 15 desi breeds. Visitors can take a guided tour through the shelter and get a glimpse of the daily activities undertaken here, including milking, feeding, biogas production, etc.
- Sri Sri Ayurveda Hospital: With advanced diagnostic facilities and highly trained medical professionals, Sri Sri College of Ayurvedic Science and Research Hospital (SSCASRH) offers more than 100 Ayurvedic treatments. The hospital also houses 15 Panchakarma treatment rooms complete with traditional equipment as well as modern facilities.
- Sumeru Mantap: This is an open-air auditorium featuring 12 pairs of pillars, which are symbolic of the 12 zodiac signs in Indian astrology. The entire structure is bordered with ornate lotus petals, which add to its architectural charm. Located at the highest point in the ashram, the mantap offers stunning views of the whole campus and the surrounding localities.
- Guru Paduka Vanam: It is an open amphitheater designed in line with the Vedic concept of vanam or forest, which is believed to provide shelter to those who are on their spiritual journey. The shape of the structure resembles a paduka or Guru’s feet. It can accommodate thousands of people at a time.
Facilities at Art of Living International Center, Bangalore
In order to make your visit or stay comfortable, the ashram provides a host of facilities like:
- Residential blocks that provide accommodation facilities to those who are undergoing courses/programs
- A bus tour that will take you through all the must-visit structures in the ashram complex
- A snack point named Swadishta, where you get quick bites, Indian snacks, sandwiches, tea, fresh juices, etc.
- An energizer point named Ojas Station that offers a good range of cookies and snacks. You will also get milk-shakes made using Ojasvita, a health drink developed by Sri Sri’s FMCG brand named Tattva
- Café Vishala, a fine dining facility that offers tasty food and eggless bakery products made of whole wheat
- Panchamruth, a multi-cuisine restaurant that provides easy-to-digest and wholesome Sattvik food
- Madhurya, a store where you can shop for traditional Indian sarees, furniture, jewelry, and handicraft items
- BYOGI, a store that sells lifestyle products, such as ethnic and colorful casual wear and yoga wear
- Sri Sri Tattva Shop, an exclusive FMCG outlet where you can shop for a good range of personal care, household, grocery, and Ayurveda products
- Sri Sri Tattva Panchakarma, a wellness center that offers therapies, massages, detox programs, personalized diet and exercise programs, etc. in line with age-old Ayurvedic practices
- Thottikallu Falls (3.5 km)
- Turahalli (8 km)
- Aagara Lake (8 km)
- Prani – The Pet Sanctuary (9 km)
- ISKCON Temple Vaikunta Hills (11 km)
- Bannerghatta National Park (13 km)
- Shree Banashankari Amma Temple (14 km)