It was built originally as a chapel in the year 1818 by Jean-Antoine Dubois but was transformed into a beautiful gothic style church in 1874. The remarkable interiors of the church – with a vaulted ceiling supported by Corinthian pillars, splendid arches and stained-glass windows would leave you absolutely wonderstruck. St Mary, also known as Our Lady of Health is said to possess miraculous powers and draws thousands of devotees for the feast in September. In 1974 the Pope elevated the church to the status of a Basilica.
Annual feast: St Mary’s Basilica celebrates its annual feast on 8th September, the birthday of St Mary.
Places to stay near St.Mary’s Basilica: MG Road (2 kms) and Commercial Street (1.2 kms) and Russel Market (240 meters) are popular shopping streets near St Mary’s Basilica. Cubbon Park (2.2 kms), Holy Trinity Church (3.2 kms) and Ulsoor Lake (2.3 kms) are other nearby attractions to visit along with St Mary’s Basilica.
Interesting facts about St. Mary’s Basilica
- A beautiful 6 feet high statue of Mother Mary holding baby Jesus in her arms just outside the church building.
- Mother Mary is draped every day, in a sari, which is the typical dress of an Indian woman.
- The main feast day of the Church is celebrated every year on 8 September, the feast day of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary, with great grandeur.
- St. Mary’s Basilica is one of the churches that restores the traditional belief of Christianity.
- The church is a busy part of a Muslim neighborhood and is next to a market.
- Beautiful depictions of various events from the Bible attached here make it a sight to behold.
How to reach St Mary’s Basilica:
St Mary’s Basilica is located in Shivaji Nagar, 5 kms from Bengaluru city centre (Majestic) and 34 kms from the Bengaluru International Airport. Cubbon Park Metro station is the closest metro (1.5 kms). Shivaji Nagar has excellent bus connectivity from all parts of Bengaluru.
Places to stay near St.Mary’s Basilica: Shivaji Nagara has a wide range of stay options. More hotels are available in nearby MG Road.
- Location: Archdiocese of Bangalore, Bangalore
- Entry Fee & Timings: There is no entry fee for the church and the timings of this place are 6 AM – 8 PM.
- Place Type: Church, Religious Place.
- Place visit with: Family, Friends, Couple.
Also: Jawaharlal Nehru Planetarium.